- Platform Technologies
The Bio21 Institute houses research groups headed by academics from various faculties, disciplines and schools within the University of Melbourne.
PhD, Masters and BSc Honours students undertaking projects at the Bio21 Institute are administered and supervised by their 'home' academic schools and departments within participating faculties.
If you are a prospective student interested in exploring opportunities for study within established research groups at the Institute, you must first refer to the individual participating departments. Alternatively, if you are interested in a specific research project undertaken by a group leader or member of Bio21, please check Group Research Pages and Research Group Leader Profiles for more information.
The participating University of Melbourne faculties and departments of the Bio21 Institute include:
Opportunities for students and early career researchers at the Bio21 Institute
A major focus of the Bio21 Institute is to provide students with a breadth of experience and skills to complement and enhance their disciplinary expertise. We aim to facilitate programs that foster the development of young researchers. Some of the programs,activities and initiatives we have facilitated are:
- Supporting Institute-based research student and postdoctoral fellow groups including participating in leadership training programs and/or entrepreneurship training. The Institute has provided financial and mentor support for programs.
- Sponsoring career development activities and events for institute-based research students and postdoctoral fellows. These include IP, careers forums and professional development programs.
- Hosting a range of career development and networking events within the broader scientific community involving students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Supporting undergraduate student participation through work experience placements and Institute-based research programs.
- Financial support through postgraduate student travel awards that contribute towards the costs of attending national and international conferences or visiting international laboratories in interdisciplinary related areas of biotechnology.
- Encourage and support the organisation of Institute-based postgraduate, research assistant and postdoctoral associations and related activities.
Bio21 Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme - Wettenhall Establishment Award 2016 - Applications close 4 pm, 29 October 2015
Applications are now open for the 2016 Bio21 Institute Wettenhall Establishment Award.The Wettenhall Establishment Award is intended to support a post-doctoral / early career researcher. It recognises the outstanding vision of the inaugural Director of the Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute, Professor Richard (Dick) EH Wettenhall and his commitment to the career development of early career researchers.
The award provides research support for an individual who has a strong research track record, is currently undertaking research that is aligned with one or more of the research themes of the Bio21 Institute and is designed to assist with their transition from senior post-doctoral scientist to independent researcher. One award will be presented in 2015 (commencing in 2016) valued at up to $60,000.
Applications close 4pm on 29 October 2015.